He likes his trucks...

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Personal Project Final Post

Quite frankly, I did not accomplish my goals this semester with the greening of Nursery School project.  I set some good things in motion, but overall, it fell to the back burner as I took on projects that felt much more urgent and important.  I think part of my internal justification is that I know that my commitment to the school doesn't end after this semester, and that I intend to partner with the Parent Advisory Board next semester to more fully develop the project.

Out of the initiatives I set out to accomplish, I was successful with three:
1. I got a bike rack for the school.
2. I got the recycling regularly picked up by the Physical Plant.
3. I analyzed the energy usage.

Next semester, I'll be meeting with the Advisory Board to determine what to do with the energy usage info, and to figure out what other projects to take on.  I'm sure we will get the composters installed next spring, and the arrival of the dishwasher only needs the final sign-off from the school's director.  I am not sure what her hesitation is in taking the final step, and haven't figured out how to talk with her about it without feeling like I am being pushy...so I've let it rest for now.  I wish I could say that I helped eliminate the egregious use of disposable plastic cups and  styrofoam bowls at Hoosier Courts this semester, but not yet... 

1 comment:

  1. Quite frankly, if you convinced Physical Plant to pick up recycling, that is amazing! Your personal project may also have ripple effects as a pilot for the other 4? centers. Once these things are instituted on one place, it is very difficult not to do the same in the others. So, celebrate your successes and look forward to notching a few more before you are through.

    Cheers!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete